As many members were asking for the recipe for the very tasty lemon polenta cake that Sara made for the March meeting she has kindly sent it in. This cake can be made gluten free by using gluten free flours and gluten free baking powder.
Lemon Polenta Cake
Will serve 6 people.
- 175g or 6oz Unsalted butter
- 250g or 8oz Golden caster sugar
- 125g or 4oz Ground almonds
- 2 Eggs beaten
- Grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
- 75g or 3oz Polenta flour
- 50g or 2 oz Plain Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180C, 350F or gas mark 4
- Grease and line a 15cm or 6 inch spring fold tin
- Cream butter and 6 oz of the sugar together
- Stir in the ground almonds, eggs, finely grated rind and juice of one lemon
- Mix the flours with the baking powderand fold into the mixture
- Add to the tin, smooth the top and sprinkle with the flaked almonds
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the cake has risen and is firm to the touch
- While the cake is baking place the remaining sugar, rind and juice from 2 lemons in a pan and heat gently to dissolve the sugar
- Pour the lemon mixture over the cake
- Serve with a cup of coffee or add cream or yogurt to make a delicious dessert.