Dee has sent in this recipe for mushroom pockets that can be served hot or cold as a canape. They also freeze well.
- For the Dough:
- 180g of soft cream cheese
- 1.5 cups of self raising flour
- Half cup butter
- For the filling:
- 1lb mushrooms (button or mixed), finely chopped
- 1 med onion – finely chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 red pepper (or your own choice of something extra) finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or yoghurt or cream)
- 1/4 tsp thyme finely chopped (or your own choice of herbs)
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Blend all dough ingredients in a bowl or mixer
- Form a ball, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour
- To prepare filling: In large pan melt butter and sauté the mushrooms, onion, peppers (and whatever other filling you like to use)
- When cooked add sour cream or yoghurt or cream
- Add thyme, salt & pepper and mix together
- Cook for a minute on low heat.
- Leave to cool.
- Final preparation:
- Remove dough and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Roll out until about ¼” thick.
- Cut in 3” circles (or bigger if you want larger pasties)
- Put 1 x tsp of mixture in each circle (or more if bigger, but don’t overfill!)
- Egg brush the edges and close over the top pressing or forking the edges together
- Put 2 fork pricks in each top to allow the steam out.
- Place on to a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven 200c for 15 – 20 minutes until light brown.