This month Barbara has sent in her recipe for Chocolate Macaroons. She had very kindly made these for our last committee meeting and they were much appreciated by everyone.
Barbara’s Chocolate Macaroons.
- 150g ground almonds
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 heaped tbs good cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 large egg whites
- rice paper (or similar)
- 100g blanched almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 deg. C/ 325 F/gas mark 3.
- In a food processor combine the ground almonds & sugar & whizz until the almonds are ground even finer.
- Add the cocoa, vanilla & egg whites & whizz again.
- Put spoonfuls of the mixture on a baking tray lined with rice paper (or can be piped from a piping bag).
- Decorate each one with a blanched almond, if wished.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before breaking up the rice paper to separate the macaroons. They should be firm on the outside & squidgy inside.
Makes 12 to 14 Macaroons.