Now the weather has finally begun to improve Kate has sent us in her recipe for a delicious Summer time desert.
Key Lime Pie.
For Pie you will need a 20 x 30cm loose bottomed tin or individual loose bottom tart tins. Alternatively it can be made in small glass tumblers which look very inviting and will keep for several days covered in the fridge .
- 250g Digestive biscuits or Hobnobs.
- 85g Butter
- 397/440 g Tin of Condensed Milk.
- Finely grated zest of 5 Limes
- Juice of 5 Limes
- 300 ml Whipping or Double Cream.
- Crush biscuits in a blender or with a rolling pin until crumb like.
- Melt butter and mix well with the biscuit crumbs.
- Cover the base of your chosen container and push crumbs down firmly with the back of a spoon to cover base and slightly up the sides .
- Leave in fridge for at least 2 hours or leave overnight.
- Grate Zest from Limes and extract juice.
- Whip together the cream and the condensed milk.
- Add the juice and zest to flavour and thicken the whipped cream.
- Pour cream mixture on to base and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Carefully remove the dessert from your tins being sure not to break the base.
- Serve with Creme Fraiche and Lime zest or a Chocolate Flake crumbled over the top.
PS: If you have a bottle of the Lime juice (not Lime Cordial) ready extracted this desert can be made without the zest and the Lime flavour still comes through.