From the East Kent Federations 85th Anniversary Recipe Book we have adapted this recipe for you to try today.
Orange and Sultana Cake.
- 6oz or 170g Soft Margarine
- 9oz or 255g Self Raising Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- 6oz or 170g Caster Sugar
- 3oz or 85g Sultanas
- Grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
- Preheat oven to 170c, 150c fan or gas mark 3
- Grease and line a 8/9″ or 20/23cm cake tin
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy
- Gradually add beaten eggs
- Fold in sifted flour and baking powder
- Fold in orange rind and sultanas
- Gradually add orange to make a soft dropping consistency ( you may not need all the juice)
- Transfer the mixture to the cake tin
- Bake in centre of oven for about 1 hour or until firm to touch
- Cool in the tin for a while before turning out on to a rack
Stored in an airtight container this cake keeps moist for several days.
For an alternative to this cake the orange rind and juice could be easily replaced with juice and rind from a lemon to make a lemon and sultana cake.