This month Julie has sent in an old family favourite from her childhood, which is still very popular with her family today.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- For the topping:
- 1oz/ 28g Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Soft Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tin Pineapple Slices
- Glace Cherries
- For the Sponge cake:
- 4oz/112g Butter
- 4oz/112g Caster Sugar
- 4oz/112g Self Raising flour
- 1 Level Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- Heat oven to 180c or Gas mark 4
- Add 1oz of butter to an 8 inch/20 cm inch cake tin
- Melt the butter in the base of the cake tin add and stir in the brown sugar until dissolved
- Add and stir in the cinnamon and lemon juice
- Remove form the heat and position the pineapple rings and cherries
- Next make the sponge mixture
- Beat the remaining butter with the caster sugar
- Add the 2 eggs and stir in the flour and baking powder
- Spread the sponge over the pineapple rings
- Bake for 30 minutes until the sponge is golden brown and the centre springs back when lightly pressed.
When cooked remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin. Then simply turn the cake upside down on to a plate.
The cake may be served cold or gently warmed with cream, creme fraiche, Greek yogurt or ice cream.