1. Who are we?
Castle Green WI is one of many WIs which are independent local charities open to any women over the age of 18. There are approximately 6,300 WIs across England, Wales and the Islands.
2. When do we collect personal information about you?
We may hold information relating to you from a number of sources, and will collect personal information about you.
- When you join Castle Green WI and complete your membership form.
- Personal information that you submit through our website contacting us through the “Contact Us” form,
- Personal data that you share with us when you communicate with us by email, phone or post.
3. What personal information do we use?
We will collect, store and otherwise process the following information as part of your Castle Green WI membership:
- Your name and postal address.
In addition we may collect, store and otherwise process the following kinds of personal information:
- Additional contact details including your email address, telephone number(s), if you opt to provide them;
- Information about our services which you use, such as attendance at WI monthly meetings or events and the status of your WI membership.
- Your communication preferences.
- Any other personal information you chose to share with us.
We also collect, store and otherwise process contact information for speakers who have agreed to give us a talk at monthly meetings.
Special categories of data
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) recognises certain categories of personal information as sensitive, and therefore requiring more protection. These categories of data include information about your health, ethnicity and political opinions.
In certain situations, Castle Green WI may collect and/or use special categories of data (for example in order to make adjustments for any disabilities or dietary requirements you may have when attending our events). We will only process these special categories of data if there is a valid reason for doing so and where the GDPR allows us to do so.
4. How we use your personal information
Castle Green WI may use members’ personal information:
- to provide you with services, products or information (such as WI Life magazine) that you have requested;
- to enable the NFWI to provide “member-only” services such as My WI and WI Training and NFWI publications (by submitting data to MCS)
- to provide updates about Castle Green WI work, services, activities, publications
- to invite you to EKF and Castle Green WI events that we feel that you might be interested in;
- to answer your questions/ requests and communicate with you in general;
- to further our charitable aims in general, including for fund raising activities and asking for volunteer support;
- to analyse and improve our work, services, activities, products or information (including our website) or for our internal records;
- to audit and/ or administer our accounts;
- to include your contribution in the WI Life Magazine. EKF magazine, the Parish magazine and our website if you appear in an article or a photograph
- to satisfy legal obligations which are binding on us, for example in relation to law enforcement requests
- for the prevention of fraud or misuse of service; and
- for the establishment, defence of enforcement of legal claims.
We shall only use personal data of speakers in order to contact them about their attendance at meetings and to include their name in our programme and on our website.
5. Lawful processing
We are required to rely on one or more lawful grounds to collect and use the personal information outlined above. We consider the grounds listed below to be relevant:
Where the processing of your personal information is necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
Where it is necessary for us to process your personal information in order to perform a contract to which you are a party (for example where we pass your information to the NFWI for entry into the MCS)
We rely on this basis where applicable law allows us to collect and use personal information for our legitimate interests and the use of your personal information is fair, balanced, and does not unduly impact your rights. For instance, it is in our legitimate interest to promote the aims and objectives of the NFWI and to use the personal data of members in order to do so.
6. Membership Communication System (MCS) Database
When you become a member of Castle Green WI, your local representative provides the NFWI with your personal information and it is stored on the MCS database which is managed by the NFWI. The MCS database is the internal database of all WI members and is only accessible to your Castle Green WI MCS Rep, Federation and NFWI staff, who will use the information to administer your WI membership (for example to send you copies of WI Life, or if you have provided your email address to authenticate your WI membership allowing you to access My WI and WI Training). If you are an officer, a committee member or have another role within the WI the NFWI also use your information to assist in the administration of those roles.
Please note that you are in full control of the information held in the MCS. If you would like to update any of your details, or would like to see the information held within the MCS please speak to Castle Green’s WI MCS Rep.
7. Do we share your personal information?
Castle Green WI will not sell, rent or lease your personal information to others. However, we may disclose your personal information to selected third party processors (such as the NFWI or their sub-contractors) for the purposes outlined at clause 4. The third party in question will be obligated to use any personal data they receive in accordance with our instructions. For example the NFWI also engage a third party to host and maintain the MCS database. Castle Green WI also engages a third party to host our website.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal information to third parties:
- When you provide your personal information on our website contact form, the form may be forwarded to the appropriate committee member, regional contact, such as a local federation office, member of staff or volunteer, in order to accommodate your request;
- For auditing purposes e.g. finance audits where we employ chartered accountants;
- If we are under any legal or regulatory obligation to do so; and
- In connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights.
8. International Data Transfers
As we sometimes use third parties to process personal information, it is possible that personal information we collect from you will be transferred to and stored in a location outside the UK or the European Economic Area (EEA).
Please note that certain countries outside of the UK or EEA have a lower standard of protection for personal information, including lower security protections. Where your personal information is transferred, stored, and/or otherwise processed outside the UK or EEA in a country which does not offer an equivalent standard of protection to the UK or EEA, we will take all reasonable steps necessary to ensure that the recipient implements appropriate safeguards designed to protect your personal information. If you have any questions about the transfer of your personal information, please contact us using the details at clause 14.
9. Securing your personal information
Castle Green WI will take all reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. We restrict access to those who have a need to know and we train committee members in handling the information securely. Castle Green WI will store all the personal information you provide on secure servers including those managed by the NFWI and committee members’ computers that are secured in accordance with NFWI guidelines.
10. How long do we keep your personal information?
Unless still required in connection with the purpose for which it was collected and/or processed, we will generally remove your personal information from our records one year after the date that it was collected. For instance, if you cancel your Castle Green WI membership, we will usually delete your personal data from our records during the year after your cancellation. However, before this date: (i) if your personal information is no longer required in connection with such purpose(s); (ii) we are no longer lawfully entitled to process it; or (iii) you validly exercise one of your rights of erasure under clause 12, we will remove it from our records.
11. Your rights and preferences
Castle Green WI and the NFWI may contact you by post unless you request otherwise, and by telephone, email, or other electronic means depending on the communication preferences you have previously indicated.
When we use your personal information you have the right to:
- Ask us for confirmation of what personal information we hold about you, and to request a copy of that information. If we are satisfied that you have a legal entitlement to see this personal information, and we are able to confirm your identity, we will provide you with this personal information.
- Request that we delete the personal information we hold about you, as far as we are legally required to do so
- Ask that we correct any personal information that we hold about you which you believe to be inaccurate.
- Object to the processing of your personal information where we: (i) process on the basis of the legitimate interests ground or (ii) use the personal information for statistical purposes.
- Ask for the provision of your personal information in a machine-readable format to either yourself or a third party, provided that the personal information in question has been provided to us by you, and is being processed by us: (i) in reliance on your consent; or (ii) because it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party; and in either instance, we are processing it using automated means.
- Ask for processing of your personal information to be restricted if there is disagreement about its accuracy or legitimate usage.
- At any point you can request to unsubscribe from any NFWI newsletters you have subscribed to, or remove your personal information from the database by contacting us using the details listed in clause 14.
Please note that where you ask us to delete your personal information we will maintain a skeleton record comprising your name and contact details to ensure that we do not inadvertently contact you in the future. We may also need to retain some financial records for statutory purposes, for example Gift Aid.
Please note that you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk/concerns
12. Other websites
Castle Green WI is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of linked web sites. Please review the privacy notices of such websites.
13. Updating this privacy notice
Castle Green WI may update this privacy notice by posting a new version on our website. If we update this privacy notice in a way that significantly changes how we use your personal information, we will bring these changes to your attention. Otherwise, we would recommend that you periodically review this privacy notice to be aware of any other revisions.
14. How to contact us
You can also contact Castle Green WI if you have any questions about this privacy notice or our treatment of your personal information using the contact details on your Castle Green WI Programme.